Shading Surfaces and Mesh (Revit to IES)

IES's specially developed Revit plug-in Toolbar allows Revit Architecture and MEP users to import their 3D BIM model into IES's software and undertake sustainable performance analysis.
bobby
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Shading Surfaces and Mesh (Revit to IES)

Postby bobby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 pm

I am getting the following errors when trying to export a Revit model (Revit MEP) into VE:

-the shading surfaces did not show up into IES(PRO) file although they are defined as roof family.
- the perforated surface also disappear in IES ModelIT.

vajindarladdad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shading Surfaces and Mesh (Revit to IES)

Postby vajindarladdad » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:38 am

Hi,
It seems like a geometry issue. We can get to the root of the problem if you show us the error messages popping up.
Could you please upload snapshots of error messages you get while exporting to IES<VE> ?

The following post will help you to upload images.
http://forums.iesve.com/viewtopic.php?f=173&t=906&sid=84b6f3b10bd306784d57d4f46dcfd359
Thanks & Regards ,

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PCully » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:23 am

Hi Bobby,

Shading surfaces not being included when import to VE suggests you have excluded them from your export from Revit. You can change this on the Revit MEP Export gbXML dialog (if you are exporting manually) or on the IESVE toolbar Settings dialog. Edit the Export Quality and ensure you choose an option that includes Shading Surfaces.

It's possible that the Export Quality is the reason you aren't seeing your perforated surfaces as well so try a Complex option and see if that helps. If not then I'd suggest it will be the way it is modelled in Revit - only the basic families are exported to gbXML from Revit so the holes will have to be modelled as openings in the model (rather than being included in the surface element/family). If you check the Revit MEP Export gbXML dialog you will see a preview of the gbXML that is being exported so you can check there if it is included or not, if not then try modelling it a different way or perhaps contact Autodesk for their thoughts on how to get around this. If it is displayed in the Export dialog but is missing when you bring the gbXML into VE then it may be an adverse side effect of our gbXML tidy operations on import from Revit, if so let me know and I can pass it on to the development team.

Phil
IES Worldwide Technical Support

bobby
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Postby bobby » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Phil and Vajindar,

I changed the export quality. As you can see in the following links the shading and perforated surfaces are included in gbXML file but not in IES.

You can find the gbXML images here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/79322242.jpg/
And revit and IES images at: http://imageshack.us/g/716/74507359.jpg/

And, how can I change the geometry in the IESVE toolbar settings? I tried Settings/ Model, but nothing changed.

Thanks,

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PCully » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:56 pm

thanks for sticking the images up, makes it a bit easier to see.

On the Export gbXML dialog you need to click on the Details tab to see the surfaces that will be exported, you screenshot of the VE model still looks like there are no shading surfaces coming through. If that outer shell was exported from Revit I'd expect it to come into VE as shading surfaces which would be displayed green by default in the VE modelviewer.

Have a look at the Details tab to review the surfaces being exported and if the outer surface definitely looks like it's being exported then post back and I'll contact you to get a hold of the model for myself otherwise it's back to the Revit model to find out why those surfaces aren't being exported (which I'm still quite sure is the case here).

Phil
IES Worldwide Technical Support

Return to “Revit plug-in”