Light Shelves in FlucsDL/Pro

Daylight and electric lighting design analysis to calculate number of luminaires required and light levels for defined schemes/planes.
NamLam01
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Light Shelves in FlucsDL/Pro

Postby NamLam01 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:55 pm

I tried to model them as components, but detailed analysis showed they had a reflectivity of 10%. How do I assign surface types to components? At the surface level I can't select them, and at the illuminance level, if I select the parts with the browser window and click on assign surface types, the program assumes I selected a room instead.

If this can't be done (which is odd since a forum post regarding sun pipes offered this solution), how do I model light shelves such that I can analyse their performance using FLUCSDL/PRO?

Regards,
Nam

vajindarladdad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Light Shelves in FlucsDL/Pro

Postby vajindarladdad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:55 am

Dear Nam,
Radiance module is the most suitable module for the analysis of light shelves.

You can change the surface properties of the component using 'Surface property' tab.
Double click on the Component (Shown in 'Material surface property' panel) change the values & check the results.

Radiance User Guide:
http://www.iesve.com/downloads/help/VE63/Lighting/Radiance.pdf
Thanks & Regards ,

NamLam01
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Postby NamLam01 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:39 pm

You didn't answer my question. I'm not interested in a radiance model - What I need to figure out is the %Area where Daylight Factor is above 2%. I'm well aware that the Flucs Analysis Reports cover this, but the results will be inaccurate if it assumes the light shelf component only has a 10% reflectance.

So I ask again: Is there a way to change the reflectivity of the components in Flucs, and if so how? Again, I can't seem to select them at the surface level or the illuminance level. If this can't be done at this stage please let me know.

Regards,
Nam

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PCully » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Nam,

You don't have the control over the reflectance of the component surfaces in Flucs (this is why Support/Vajindar would recommend using RadianceIES if you can).

I believe Flucs takes the value set in ApLocate for Ground reflectance and applies this to the surfaces of components used in this way but I haven't confirmed this myself.

Phil
IES Worldwide Technical Support

NamLam01
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Postby NamLam01 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:17 am

Ok then. Thank you both for the fast response.

Return to “FlucsDL/Pro”