Doesnt reoognize the light in lightsimulations

Sophisticated 3D simulation of light levels using advanced ray-tracing techniques, covering luminance, illuminance, daylight factors, perceived impact, photorealistic visualisation
KasperS
VE Professor
VE Professor

Doesnt reoognize the light in lightsimulations

Postby KasperS » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:19 am

Hello

I have gotten some weird results while calculating the daylight in a room. Its a 2 storey building with a hole between the 2 floors. The floor beneith works fine, and you can see the daylight in the simulations coming through the hole. When i do the same calculation for the upper floor it says that no light is coming through the windows at all. Anyone knows what could cause this?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/unledrs.png/

From Kasper

vajindarladdad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Doesnt reoognize the light in lightsimulations

Postby vajindarladdad » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:26 pm

Dear Kasper,

There could be few reasons
[*]Incorrect Focus & Eye position.
[*]Incorrect seletion of view.
Resolution:
[*]Select correct view from View frame (On Sky/Eye tab)
[*]Select correct Focus & Eye position.

I hope this has been of some help.
Thanks & Regards ,

KasperS
VE Professor
VE Professor

Postby KasperS » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks, will check when i get back from vacation.

Have a nice summer

KasperS
VE Professor
VE Professor

Postby KasperS » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:36 am

Hey

I have taken a look at those things and they didnt help. The thing is that there is still coming light into the room from another room located next to it: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/unledtx.png/

So the thing is that when i do the radiance calculation at the room below there is light coming through the windows, but when i model the upper room, there is no light coming through the windows or the hole in the wall.

From Kasper

KasperS
VE Professor
VE Professor

Postby KasperS » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:02 am

I tried to model a window in the wall to the right, and that thing works, so the problem is that when i do the right to light part at the upper room it doesnt recognize the windows and holes in the wall. Anyone knows what could cause this?

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PCully » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi,

I've been playing with this all day (I don't use Radiance often) testing different scenarios similar to what you have described but the images always look ok for me for both a room with windows and hole in the floor and the room below which has no windows (only received light).

Could this be something to do with your working plane height definition? Or if you are creating an illuminance image and the hole is large then there is no floor surface for the light to hit and so no image to generate?

Only other thing I can suggest is to check your model geometry (ModelIT check report) to make sure there are no problems that may be manifesting in Radiance.

Phil
IES Worldwide Technical Support

KasperS
VE Professor
VE Professor

Postby KasperS » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:58 am

Hello

I am not quite sure why the inner volume created this problem, but i had no problems when i turned it off.

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PCully » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:04 am

I'll send you a private message to get the model from you so I can ask a developer to take a look (there may be something we can fix here) but for now I'd be inclined to run with the inner volumes off if that gives a more sensible results.

Phil

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PCully » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 am

Hi,

I sent you back a corrected version of the model.

For future reference (anyone else who may experience this kind of problem)
First switch off Inner Volumes to see if the results are better with this switched off.
If so then review model geometry in the affected room to see if there is anything that could be improved or may be causing the problems, in this case we believe it was due to collinear vertices in the room.
Often we find redrawing the room or editing to remove any issues like this will resolve the problem.

Phil

Return to “Radiance”