Radiance working plane image fails for combined room?

For posts that don't quite fit into the other categories
normwheatley
VE Student
VE Student

Radiance working plane image fails for combined room?

Postby normwheatley » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi,

I have to get the working plane image for each floor of my office building. However, the model is built up from nine smaller models and Radiance gives me the message ... To generate a working plane image, you must select a single room

So, I ran a simple test. I created 2 small adjacent rooms, put in lots of windows and replaced their connecting wall by a big hole. In the 3-D viewer I could see right through the two room and out the other side. I then went into Radiance and tried to generate a working plane image and got the failure message.

SO, back in ModelIT I joined the 2 rooms (using the connect spaces) so now I had just one long room instead of room 1 and room 2. I then went into Radiance and tried to generate a working plane image and got the same failure message again.

So, is this a bug? Is there any way to make a working plane image of a room that is built up from several smaller room?

thanks
Norm

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Radiance working plane image fails for combined room?

Postby PCully » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:44 am

Hi Norm,

Don't think this is a bug. If you connect the room sin ModelIt (select the Remove Partitions option), then you should find you can generate a Working Plane image for the combined room in Radiance.

Have you selected the room in Radiance before you try to generate the image?

Phil
IES Worldwide Technical Support

normwheatley
VE Student
VE Student

Postby normwheatley » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi,

Here's my problem. I have a square room, I replicate it 9 times to make a big 3 x 3 room. I can do this easily enough and connect all the rooms up. I then want to get a DF working plane image. This too I can do by selecting the entire floor which automatically positions the focus and eye settings but nevertheless gives me the correct working plane image.

Now for the tricky part - I make the centre room into a light-well - by disconnecting it, making the walls just big windows and the ceiling a big window too. Now I want to see how the DF image has changed. However, when I now select the entire floor, the eye and focus are automatically positioned into the bottom left hand room. The DF working plane image is valid only for that room and not for any of the other 8 rooms.

any ideas?

I realise that my building has some symmetry but a DF working plane image of one room is not enough for a proper comparison to my none-lightweell office.

I've attached a screen shot

thanks
Norm

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PCully » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 am

I see the situation now (pictures always help!). I'll see what I can come up with

Phil

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PCully » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:04 am

Try using the Illuminance WP view, this allows you to set the position of the centre of the image - that might let you set it yourself to be the centre of the floor plan

Phil

normwheatley
VE Student
VE Student

Postby normwheatley » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi,

the Illuminance WP view definitely does not work. When you click on this, it automatically puts you into Plan view with the eye position in the building and the focus straight down into the ground, not at all what one wants.

attached is a screenshot

thanks

Return to “General Lighting”