Creating a Lightwell

For posts that don't quite fit into the other categories
GARY JAMES
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Creating a Lightwell

Postby GARY JAMES » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi, I'm currently trying to create a lightwell for an office space (3 floors). The office space is made up of nine smaller spaces each 9 x 9 all connected together as one space. I'm trying to create the lightwell in the middle of the building, I've used edit space tool to seperate the space I would like to use for the lightwell, created the rooflight by making the ceiling a big window. My problem is trying to create the internal walls of the lightwell, im thinking the same principal should apply (making the wall a big window) but I keep getting an error saying (opening must be contained in a surface or adjacency and must not overlap existing openings) everytime I try to make the internal wall into a window. Trying to make the internal walls into windows is the only way i could think off allocating glazing as the material property for the 'internal walls' of the lightwell in radiance. Greatful for any suggestions .

Cheers,Gary

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Creating a Lightwell

Postby PCully » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi Gary,

This model sounds familiar... I think what's happening here is that when you previously had the central room/zone connected holes would have been placed on each internal adjacency.

Select the zone and go down through the levels of decomp until you have selected the wall. Make sure the dropdown above the workspace is in Opening mode and the select the surface and hit delete (this will delete the hole opening that is already there). Then you'll find you can place the glazing as desired (use the 100% option - easy)

Phil
IES Worldwide Technical Support

Return to “General Lighting”