Shading factor for PV

ApacheCalc – Heat loss/gain calculations using CIBSE procedures to determine design heating/cooling loads.
ApacheLoads – Design heating/cooling loads calculations using ASHRAE Heat Balance Method.
antonclaeys
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Shading factor for PV

Postby antonclaeys » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:59 am

Hey,

How do i calculate the shading factor for my PV system? It isn't explained in the manual (Apache->renewables). right now, it's on the default value (1), but there definitely is some shading by the surrounding trees.

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shading factor for PV

Postby PCully » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 am

Hi,

One way to predict it would be to use SunCast. View the surface Results by Percent and click the Average button to view the Total average and you could base the shading factor on this. For this to be accurate you will have to make sure any surrounding buildings that may obstruct light are included in the model though.

Phil
IES Worldwide Technical Support

antonclaeys
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Postby antonclaeys » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:31 pm

I solved more accurate:

Make a window in the roof where you want your solar panels. calculate the solar gain with surrounding buildings and without surrounding buildings and export the data to excel. There you can calculate the shading factor for every hour.

antonclaeys
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Postby antonclaeys » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:32 pm

I solved it more accurate:

Make a window in the roof where you want your solar panels. calculate the solar gain with surrounding buildings and without surrounding buildings and export the data to excel. There you can calculate the shading factor for every hour.

Return to “ApacheCalc/Loads”