Apache Calculations

ApacheCalc – Heat loss/gain calculations using CIBSE procedures to determine design heating/cooling loads.
ApacheLoads – Design heating/cooling loads calculations using ASHRAE Heat Balance Method.
porourke
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Apache Calculations

Postby porourke » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:34 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to establish the energy consumption of the plant over a particular time period - i.e. kwh - I am trying to compare with actual recorded real time data.

can Apache give me the required information??????

thank you

Paul

Complex Potential
VE Expert
VE Expert

Re: Apache Calculations

Postby Complex Potential » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:18 am

Yes it can, as long as you make your model sufficiently detailed which can sometimes be a complicated task.

porourke
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Postby porourke » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:21 pm

Could you indicate how to extract this data from the model - IES -please

I need this for a report for the University of Ulster - hand in date at the end of March

any and all help will be appreciated - thank you

Complex Potential
VE Expert
VE Expert

Postby Complex Potential » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:18 am

All such data can be pulled out of Vista/Vista Pro once a dynamic model run is complete but the level of information you can extract will be dependent upon how much detail you have put into the model.

If you want simple heating and cooling building loads you just need to have set up the correct constructions, room conditions, gains, air rates and profiles. If you want heating and cooling energy (more likely), then you will need to additionally have set up at least a simplified system type with an approximate seasonal efficiency for the heating and cooling generators.

If you want the electrical consumption of the plant I'm afraid the only way to truly accurately model it is to simulate the air side systems via ApacheHVAC and ensure that all fans, pumps, air paths, heat recovery and controls are the same as the building you are attempting to compare against.

You probably don't want to hear this, but fully bespoke modelling of HVAC energy consumption is one of the most advanced things you can attempt to do in IES. I've been using the software for over 8 years and I'd expect to have to make several failed attempts before getting such a thing right.

CP

porourke
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Postby porourke » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:16 pm

CP

thank you for the reply - I will progress as best I can

Return to “ApacheCalc/Loads”