Change Air Permeability (IES 2015)

ApacheCalc – Heat loss/gain calculations using CIBSE procedures to determine design heating/cooling loads.
ApacheLoads – Design heating/cooling loads calculations using ASHRAE Heat Balance Method.
harry258
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Change Air Permeability (IES 2015)

Postby harry258 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:06 am

I simply need to change the air permeability.

I've found how to do this in previous versions of IES, but the same routes don't seem to apply to the 2015 version. If there's a way to do this, they've hidden it well.

Cheers,
Harry

farahghanem
VE Professor
VE Professor

Re: Change Air Permeability (IES 2015)

Postby farahghanem » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:17 am

you mean for air infiltration? It is the same way as it was in the 2014 for me. You can do it either through the PRM navigator, or through the tabular room data menu.

harry258
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Postby harry258 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:42 am

Unfortunately not. Air permeability is a specific parameter used to test the air tightness of a building. Although it is very closely related to the infiltration rate, the units being used are more specific than a simple ac/h. It is a measurement of the infiltration rate within a building in units of m3/h/m2 at a specific internal pressure of 50Pa.

I'm currently using infiltration rates to try and reflect the air permeability, however I'm not comfortable that this represents the building as accurately as I would like.

farahghanem
VE Professor
VE Professor

Postby farahghanem » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

you can change the units for the infiltration from ach to l/s/m2 which is only a unit conversion from your m3/h/m2. The pressure is set at 50 Pa within IES.

According to http://www.energycouncil.co.uk/air-leakage-testing.html You essentially wanna be defining the air leakage. It should have the same effect.

Return to “ApacheCalc/Loads”