Model Viewer 1 being phased out

We're always looking to improve things so feel free to pass on your thoughts.
PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Model Viewer 1 being phased out

Postby PCully » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:42 am

Hi,

We are now encouraging all users to switch from Model Viewer 1 to Model Viewer 2. In VE 2017 we'll be hiding the buttons for MV1 but it will still be accessible via a menu option.

As always we are doing this so we can focus full development effort on the MV2 to ensure new features are added, continual enhancements and so it can give the best visual outputs but we need to be sure there isn't anyone who is currently tied to using MV1.

Is there anyone currently who can't run MV2? Or any good reasons why you would still use MV1? Reply here so we can consider everyone

Phil
IES Worldwide Technical Support

YD-Ind
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Re: Model Viewer 1 being phased out

Postby YD-Ind » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:32 pm

I usually use MV 1 to view wind rose. How can we check with MV 2?

SamSuppiah
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Postby SamSuppiah » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi Phil,

Thanks for setting up the thread.

You mentioned MV1 is still accessible in the 2017 version of VE, can you confirm where we can find this?

I use MV1 constantly as quick checks to see that my model is progressing correctly, or for instance in QA of others' models, etc. The purpose of this is to obtain visual information on how the surfaces are being read in 3D. in MV1 I can move the model about and orbit/pan around problem sections to understand where things may be going wrong, or simply to understand the geometry of a particular space. This is particularly important for complex models with many rooms or angular spaces where adjacency issues are rife.

A lot of the time this is for verification, but the key thing is it's quick. It's a lot quicker than MV2 and makes a huge difference if one has to go into MV1 20-30 times per model-building exercise. MV2 slows down significantly when there are many rooms or complex shapes. Orbiting and panning in MV2 also lags a lot more than in MV1.

So that's my two cents -- I really liked MV1 for its speed and ease compared to MV2, which I appreciate for its wide-ranging functionalities. I used MV1 more frequently than I did MV2, largely because I do a lot of quick checks while modelling and model QA.

Thanks and best regards,
Samantha

PCully
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PCully » Mon May 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi,

In VE 2017 Tools >> Preferences >> Model Viewer settings tab

Wind Rose is a good example that we'll have to provide full support in MV2 for

Speed is another thing, I think the suggestion of some simple model viewer function is a good one, MV is usually my first port of call when I get a new model from a customer experiencing some problem so you can imagine I'm doing this many times a day as well and speed is always important

Phil
IES Worldwide Technical Support

Return to “Suggestions”