Converting Weather Files

Our free whole-building annual energy and carbon usage tool.

Re: Converting Weather Files

Postby David » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi Graeme,

from www.ukcip.org.uk/ (amazing what google can do, eh?)

Climate change weather file generator
A Climate Change Weather File Generator (called CCWeatherGen) has been developed by the Built Environment programme of the Sustainable Energy Research Group (SERG) at the School of Civil Engineering and the Environment, University of Southampton.

Weather files are commonly used to allow the likely energy consumption of buildings to be simulated under typical weather conditions.

This free tool is Microsoft® Excel-based and uses the UKCIP02 climate change scenarios to transform CIBSE / Met Office present day TRY/DSY UK weather files into projected future weather files. The future weather files it generates are consistent with the UKCIP02 projections of climate change and compatible with the majority of building performance simulation programs.

The CCWeatherGen tool and accompanying documentation are available here:
http://www.energy.soton.ac.uk/ccweathergen
David, IES Technical Support
David
Site Admin
Site Admin

EPW Files

Postby David » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:13 am

Just a little note...

The <Virtual Environment> can read EPW files as they are - there's no need to convert. Just pop them into the ..\Shared Content\Weather folder and you'll be able to use them next time you load the location wizard.
David, IES Technical Support
David
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ZapBran » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:50 pm

Just noticed this post...
You could create an EnergyPlus weather file with your spreadsheet data and as David said above the VE can read them.
ZapBran
VE Expert
VE Expert

epw file is not working!

Postby dezine_gen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to define epw file of DHAKA (capital city of Bangladesh) downloaded from energyplus website, (as weather file of Dhaka is not available with IES VE) and the IES VE giving me an error message saying the epw file is not a complete one.
Any idea why this is happening as epw from energyplus site considered as reliable.
Am I missing something in the setting up process of weather file in IES VE?
Thanks in advance for your help.
dezine_gen
VE Newbie
VE Newbie

Postby Terence » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 am

There is a problem reading the Solar and Wind Energy Resource Assessment (SWERA) .epw files. We have highlighted this issue with our developers to investigate further. In the meantime I would advise using another weather file if possible.

Apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.
Terence
IES Technical Support
Terence
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tjk205 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:42 am

Just a note that as part of the EPSRC project I am working on we have created future weather files using the latest UKCP09 probabilistic climate data.

Free .epw future weather files are available for download from the project website, these are compatible with IES.

http://centres.exeter.ac.uk/cee/prometheus/
tjk205
VE Beginner
VE Beginner

Return to VE-Ware